1/1 Photo of Roast Chicken With Tomato-Olive Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
I adopted this recipe. For my trial run of the recipe, I prepared the chicken using the roasting method in Mermaid's Tender Roast Chicken. It was an incredibly moist and flavorful bird. The Tomato-Olive sauce is bright with fresh flavors and the perfect salty compliment. This is simple and fabulous. The recipe can be done with grilled breasts or thighs as well. Recipe from Patricia Wells.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted or 1/2 cup kalamata olive
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1Remove giblets from chicken; rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- 2Put on a rack in a roasting pan and brush with butter.
- 3Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Roast in a preheated 400-degree oven for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees in the thigh on an instant-read thermometer.
- 5Baste the chicken occasionally with the drippings.
- 6While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- 7Bring a pan of water to a boil.
- 8Add tomatoes and remove from the heat; set aside 30 to 60 seconds or until skins begin to crack; drain.
- 9Peel, seed and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- 10In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 11Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- 12Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, basil, fennel seeds, wine, green and black olives.
- 13Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 14Stir occasionally.
- 15Season sauce with lots of pepper.
- 16(Additional salt may not be necessary because of the saltiness of the olives.) Stir in parsley.
- 17Carve chicken and serve with a bowl of sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Tomato-Olive Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.5
- Calories from Fat 466
- Total Fat 51.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 194.7 mg
- Sodium 672.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 46.8 g