Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Rosie Daley, this chicken takes a little more prep time, but is worth it.
Make and share this Roast Chicken With Seed Bread Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, split in half
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
FOR THE STUFFING
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups bread cubes, light wheat toasted
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisin
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Trim, peel, and cut into large chunks, the carrots, celery, and onion.
- Scatter the carrots, celery, and onion in a roasting pan.
- Place the halves of chicken, skin side up, on the vegetables.
- Randomly tuck 5 pieces of garlic under the skin on each half.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken.
- Dust with the tarragon, paprika, seasoned salt, and peppers.
- Cover and put in the oven.
- Make the stuffing while the chicken is cooking.
- Put the chicken stock in a small saucepan over the lowest heat.
- Preheat a medium, heavy frying pan for about 1 minute over medium heat.
- Spray it twice with the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and celery.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until the vegetables are limp.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the bread, apple, raisins, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, sage, and peppers in a large bowl and toss to mix.
- Add the warm chicken stock, the vegetable mixture, and the egg whites.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a casserole and cover.
- When the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, put the casserole of stuffing in the oven and bake alongside the chicken.
- When the chicken has cooked 45 minutes, uncover, baste lightly with pan juices, and return the roasting pan to the oven uncovered.
- Now bake both for 15 minutes, or until the thigh juices of the chicken run clear.
- Total cooking time for the chicken is 1 hour; 45 minutes for the stuffing.
- Remove the skin and carve the meat from the bones.