1/1 Photo of Roast Chicken With Rosemary-Garlic Paste
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is so very moist and delicious! If you can find an organic chicken ( and can afford it nowadays), it will be juicier than one that's conventionally raised. (better for you too.) In this recipe, the chicken is butterflied for quicker cooking. I add pieces of the lemon that I squeeze the lemon juice from around the chicken for even more flavor. If you can't find the juniper berries in your neck of the woods, use a few teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, it still makes a wonderful roast chicken. Depending on your oven, this may take less then 90 minutes, check after 70 minutes. Other herbs can be used in place of the rosemary, such as thyme or sage. This is actually better if you prepare it ahead of time before roasting and let it set in the fridge. This is adapted from a Deborah Madison recipe from Bon Appetit, Feb. 2008. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml loosely packed fresh rosemary leaf, finely chopped
- 5 juniper berries
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml black peppercorns
- 3.69 ml fine sea salt or 3.69 ml coarse kosher salt
- 19.71 ml olive oil
- 1814.36-2721.55 g roasting chickens, 4-6 pounds, butterflied, backbone and neck removed (can reserve for homemade chicken stock )
- 3-4 whole fresh rosemary sprigs
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1Combine chopped rosemary and next 4 ingredients in mortar and crush with pestle or blend in mini processor until coarse paste forms. Mix in oil and lemon juice.
- 2Rinse chicken; pat dry. Rub 1 teaspoon herb mixture over bone side of chicken. Turn chicken over and open like a book; place chicken, skin side up, on work surface. Carefully loosen skin from breast and thigh meat; rub herb mixture under skin. Rub any remaining herb mixture on outside of chicken. If you don't have enough herb mixture, make sure to rub some oil and lemon to cover the outside of the chicken.
- 3Place rosemary sprigs in 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of rosemary sprigs in dish.
- 4DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before roasting.
- 5Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- 6Roast chicken uncovered until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer chicken to platter, let rest for at least 10 minutes, then serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Rosemary-Garlic Paste
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.2
- Calories from Fat 459
- Total Fat 51.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 220.9 mg
- Sodium 497.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: