Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Whole chickens are so easy to make and really look impressive on the dinner table. This recipe creates a well-seasoned and juicy chicken with a wonderfully flavorful stuffing. I have made this recipe a number of times over the years and have always had outstanding results and raves. I found the recipe in 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. Sometimes I add cooking wine to the water that the rice cooks in…. otherwise I really don’t need to change a thing. --Note-- This Chicken makes an Outstanding Chicken Salad for sandwiches the next day. Simply mix the left over chicken and stuffing with mayonnaise. It is hard to get the chicken salad onto the bread without eating it all before hand!
- 1 whole chicken (About 3 Pounds, Giblets Reserved)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup rice (Organic Jasmine or Organic Brown is Awesome)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375; Rinse Chicken and pat dry; Season inside and out with ½ Teaspoon Salt and ¼ Teaspoon Pepper: Coarsely Chop Giblets.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons of Butter over medium heat; Add Onions and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes; Add Giblets & Pine Nuts; Cook, stirring, until Giblets are no longer pink; Stir in Rice, Raisins, Parsley, remaining Salt & Pepper, and 2 ¼ Cups of Water; Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, until rice has absorbed liquid.
- Stuff cavity loosely with Rice Mixture; spoon remainder into a lightly buttered baking dish. Tie chicken legs or make slit on one side of opening and pull drumstick through hole to close opening; Place in roasting pan and brush Chicken with remaining Butter (Melted); Bake for 1 ½ hours, basting with pan juices every 20 minutes, until juices run clear, and heat remaining Stuffing in oven during last half-hour of roasting time.
Loved this recipe. People raved about the stuffing on Christmad Day. It was easy to prepare and full of flavour. I play to make this recipe often. I am going use it as a rice side dish besides using it as a stuffing recipe. Another keeper. Thank you for sharing.
I cooked this chicken for some friends, a change from the usual roast chicken and sage and onion stuffing. They all really enjoyed it and although I don't like nuts much I really like the taste given by the pine nuts. Now I am using pine nuts in my other dishes! Thanks.