1/3 Photos of Roast Chicken With Orange, Lemon & Ginger
1 hr 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Ginger arrived in Italy with Arabic traders or North African Jewish immigrants, so it's likely that this is a Sicilian or Livornese recipe. From "Cucina Ebraica" by Joyce Goldstein.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lemon
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated (then cut lemon into quarters)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated (then cut orange into quarters)
- 3 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh gingerroot
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- orange section (to garnish)
- 1Preheat an oven to 400°F
- 2Cut the lemon into quarters.
- 3Rub the outside of the chicken with one of the lemon quarters then discard.
- 4In a small bowl, stir together the lemon and orange zests and 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger.
- 5Rub this mixture evenly in the cavity and put the lemon and orange quarters inside the bird.
- 6Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 7Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- 8In the now-empty small bowl, combine the melted olive oil, lemon and orange juices, honey, and the remaining 2 tablespoons ginger and mix well.
- 9Place the chicken in the oven on its side and roast about ten minutes; turn on its other side and roast ten minutes more.
- 10Turn oven down to 350°F and turn chicken so it is roasting breast side up and roast till done--about another 40 minutesuntil the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- 11Baste with the citrus juice mixture at least 4 times during cooking.
- 12Transfer to a serving platter and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 13Variation: Use 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice in place of the lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Orange, Lemon & Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1013.1
- Calories from Fat 675
- Total Fat 75.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 267.3 mg
- Sodium 251.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 63.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
oranges, zest of