Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Fanny Farmer Cookbook; this is a simple delicious recipe. As I have recently learned, homemade stuffing is really easy to make. For a nice presentation be sure to truss the chicken.
- To make the stuffing: melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Add the onion and mushrooms, cooking until the onion is soft. Remove from heat; stir in the crumbs and season to taste.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Stuff the body cavity, and truss the bird.
- Brush the melted butter all over and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Place the chicken breast up in a roasting pan and cook at 325 degrees for 25 minutes per pound. The meat thermometer should read 170 degrees in the breast meat.
- If desired you can melt more butter and baste every 15 minutes. (I don't baste my chicken; I just leave it alone.).
- Remove the chicken to a warm platter and cover with foil, letting it rest 10 minutes before carving.
This was wonderful stuffing! I used portabello mushrooms and the stuffing had a flavour that was meaty in some ways but light in others that went so well with the chicken. I cooked the chicken on a rotisserie on a BBQ so used a slightly different cooking method but am sure it would be just as good cooked in the oven.