Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 6 ounces rosemary sprigs, divided (about 2 large or 4 small bunches)
- 2 whole chickens
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 lemons, 1 halved, 1 sliced into eight 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 lb shallot, peeled
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line a large roasting pan with 3/4 of rosemary sprigs. Place chickens on top.
- Whisk 1/2 cup oil, lemon juice, and honey in a small bowl to blend. Using your hands and beginning at the neck end of chicken, gently lift skin away from breast. Under skin of each chicken, rub 1/4 cup lemon mixture into meat. Drizzle remaining lemon mixture all over outside of chickens.
- Place 1 lemon half and 1 shallot inside each chicken cavity; stuff with remaining rosemary sprigs, dividing equally. Season chickens all over with salt and pepper. Place remaining shallots around chickens; arrange 4 lemon rounds on top of each chicken. Drizzle shallots and lemon rounds with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Roast chickens, basting frequently with pan juices, for 45 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°F and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F and skin is deep golden and crispy, about 10 minutes longer.
- Spoon pan juices over chickens, shallots, and lemon slices and serve in roasting pan.
I made this tonight using 2 split chickens and it was fantastic! I put a rosemary sprig under each breast, drizzled the sauce over top, and placed cut lemon slices over top with chopped rosemary leaves and salt and pepper. I omitted the shallot, and basted the chicken half way through cooking. I also baked it part of the time using convection so it was nice and crisp. This was fantastically delicious....will make it again!