Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An unbelievably simple way to do a vibrantly-flavored roast chicken.
Make and share this Roast Chicken with Lemon-Dill Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 roasting chicken, about 3 ½ lbs
- 5 sprigs fresh dill or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- additional dill sprigs
- lemon wedge
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse chicken, inside and out, with cold water.
- Pat dry.
- Place chicken on roasting rack and put 4 sprigs of dill (or 1 t dill weed) and quartered onion inside bird.
- Rub surface of chicken with lemon and spread with butter.
- Place 2 wedges of lemon inside bird, then place chicken in roasting pan and add wine and broth to pan.
- Roast for 1 ½ hours or until tender, basting with liquid every 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken from pan to a warmed platter and keep warm.
- Chop the remaining sprig of dill.
- Strain the pan juices into a saucepan.
- Reserve 2 T of liquid and mix with the cornstarch until smooth.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into juices and bring to a boil.
- Whisk until smooth, add remaining dill and lemon, and then check for seasoning.
- Carve chicken and serve with sauce.
- Garnish with extra dill and lemon if desired.
This was an excellent Sunday dinner with Roasted Roots- a Fall and Winter Favorite!. the chicken was moist and tender with crisp skin. Nice easy directions even a beginner could fallow. Great recipe, thanks for posting silky. Made for My3Chefs Nov '09 .