Recipe by Amber of AZ
This recipe is one of those "gee that looks good" as you flip through your cookbooks looking for meal ideas. When you actually do make it, the recipe, to me, is a wonderful treat. I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook. 6 points
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup dried mission figs
- 5 chicken breasts or 1 whole skinless chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from 1 lemon: cut into very thin, round slices (about 12).
- Place the lemon slices and the figs in the baking dish.
- You may want extra lemon slices.
- They are really good to eat after they have been cooking under the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken breast or pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze enough juice from the remaining 2 lemons to equal 3 tablespoons; transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and water.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken; cover the baking dish loosely with foil.
- Roast the chicken 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and roast, uncovered, basting the chicken twice, until cooked through, 15 minutes more.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken, figs and lemon slices with a slotted spooon to a serving platter.
- Discard the fat from the pan drippings; spoon over the chicken.