Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is one of those "gee that looks good" as you flip through your cookbooks looking for meal ideas. When you actually do make it, the recipe, to me, is a wonderful treat. I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook. 6 points
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup dried mission figs
- 5 chicken breasts or 1 whole skinless chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from 1 lemon: cut into very thin, round slices (about 12).
- Place the lemon slices and the figs in the baking dish.
- You may want extra lemon slices.
- They are really good to eat after they have been cooking under the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken breast or pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze enough juice from the remaining 2 lemons to equal 3 tablespoons; transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and water.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken; cover the baking dish loosely with foil.
- Roast the chicken 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and roast, uncovered, basting the chicken twice, until cooked through, 15 minutes more.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken, figs and lemon slices with a slotted spooon to a serving platter.
- Discard the fat from the pan drippings; spoon over the chicken.
Super easy and amazing flavor.
This was pretty darn awesome, it was so easy - the hardest part was skinning the chicken thighs (that is what I had on hand because they are my favorite ). I served it over some plain couscous, but will probably use either rice or noodles nest time, because there will defiantly be a next time. I used Meyer lemons (first time I have ever used them) and they were really tangy but in a good way. It took about 10 minutes longer then stated, but I am sure that is my oven. I will use a mix of breasts and thighs when I make it for my family. Thank you, Amber of AZ for wonderful recipe.