1/4 Photos of Roast Chicken With Italian Seasonings
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Several years ago, I noticed a post on some random cooking site asking for help with dry roast chicken. Someone suggested the 'flipping' method described below. I've been using it ever since, and it works! The actual recipe is a very basic one I found in a little paperback book at the grocery. You can replace the Italian seasonings with any others you prefer, but I think you'll find the general method gives great results. Exact cooking time will vary somewhat according to weight, of course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Cut onions into thick slices (approximately 1/2").
- 3Using a broiler pan with rack in place, lay onion slices on rack to form a'bed' on which the chicken will sit.
- 4(The rack will allow excess grease to run off; the onions will impart nice flavor and will prevent chicken from sticking.).
- 5Remove giblets from cavity of chicken; rinse well with cold water and pat dry.
- 6Using a pastry brush (or your hands), coat entire outside of chicken lightly but thoroughly with olive oil.
- 7Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Italian seasonings (amounts given above are just general guidelines listed in the original recipe-- it's better to sprinkle evenly all over rather than trying to measure exactly).
- 8Place chicken on top of onion slices BREAST SIDE DOWN; cook for 30 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven; reduce temperature setting to 400 degrees F.
- 10Carefully turn chicken over so that the breast side is facing up; return to oven for an additional 45 minutes, or until done.
- 11Allow to rest 10 minutes before carving (IMPORTANT STEP!).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Italian Seasonings
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.8
- Calories from Fat 522
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 267.3 mg
- Sodium 541.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 63.4 g