Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a winner with family and friends. It's full of lovely flavours. I've made it with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts as well, and just reduced the stuffing ingredients and cooking time to suit.
- 1814.36 g whole chickens
- 1 lime
- 118.29 ml cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 1 mild red chili peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use the point of a knife and your fingers to carefully separate the skin from the meat of the chicken across the breast and over the tops of the legs. Just loosen the skin with the knife, then carefully run your fingers underneath. Try not to tear the skin.
- Grate the lime and beat the rind into the cream cheese along with the chopped pepper.
- Pack the cream cheese stuffing under the skin of the chicken, using a teaspoon, until fairly evenly distributed.
- Push the skin back into place, then smooth out the stuffing into an even layer by gently rubbing your hands over the skin.
- Put the chicken in a roasting pan and squeeze the juice from the lime all over top.
- Roast for 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through. If the top of the chicken becomes too browned, cover the chicken with foil towards the end of the cooking time.
- Carve the chicken, spoon the pan juices over top, and serve.