Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is my favorite roast chicken b/c it is a little unexpected. Make sure you have a shot of grand marnier while cooking...that is the ritual in our house so we try to make this often!
- 1 (3 -4 lb) roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 4 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- fresh rosemary sprig, to garnish (optional)
- Prep the chicken.
- Remove the insides and rinse with water and then pat dry. Rub the bird with olive oil and then season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Place in roasting pan and put the orange and onion quarters inside.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then turn your oven down to 350 degrees for 1 hour more.
- While bird is cooking, make your glaze.
- Melt the butter, mustard, honey, and apricot jam til bubbly and then take off heat and add grand marnier. Can keep on low to keep warm (altho I think that is a no no w/alcohol, but I always do!).
- When there is 40 minutes left of cook time, pour about half the glaze over the bird and then let it finish cooking.
- Pull bird out, let rest for 10 minutes so juices can recollect. After carving it up and putting meat on platter, drizzle the pieces with the rest of the glaze.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
My husband doesn't like chicken very much (a steak and potatoes man), but he loves this chicken!
Made this for dinner last night - YUMMO - DH adored it and so did I. So moist and very, tasty.
well all I can add is this bird wea utterly fantstic, I used a large roaster chicken almost the size of a small turkey! I doubled the glaze, also added in a half of a lemon along with the orange, I usually use seasoned salt but because of the glaze I used white salt and lots fresh ground black pepper, I am going to make this recipe using a small turkey next time I bet it will be wonderful also, we loved this for Sunday dinner thanks for sharing this winner Liza!