1/3 Photos of Roast Chicken With Ginger, Macaroni and Caramelized Tomatoes
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Another Provencal recipe (Poulet Roti au Gingembre, Coudes au Jus) by way of Richard Olney. Cooking time includes an hour for draining/drying the tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chopped tomatoes in a colander and salt them and let them sit, draining, for about an hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 3Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and smear the cavity with the grated ginger.
- 4Smear the outside of the bird with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Place the chicken on its side in an oval baking dish and place the dish in the oven.
- 6When the bird begins to color (loght golden), turn it on its other side, then, when that side has begun to color, turn it on its back.
- 7After 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F, remove the excess fat from the pan and begin to baste with lemon juice.
- 8Bring the wine to a simmer and reserve.
- 9When there is no more lemon juice, pour the wine into the pan and continue basting.
- 10Roast for about 45 minutes more, or until juice runs clear when the thigh is pricked above the drumstick joint.
- 11When the chicken is done, remove from the oven, and let it rest while you drain any excess fat from the pan juices.
- 12Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in generously salted, vigorously boiling water for about 12 minutes.
- 13In a heavy frying over high heat, add the garlic to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 14As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, add the tomatoes.
- 15Shake the pan constantly, tossing the tomatoes repeatedly for about a mnute or so, until they are nearly dry and give off a caramelized scent.
- 16Add the basil leaves, tearing them by hand, toss the tomato mixture again and remove from heat.
- 17Drain the macaroni and place in a wide shallow serving dish which you have warmed (easiest to do this by placing dish in sink when you drain the pasta--the pasta water will warm the dish).
- 18Add the tomatoes and the chicken's roasting juices to the macaroni and toss well.
- 19Carve the chicken at the table and serve it with the macaroni.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Ginger, Macaroni and Caramelized Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1031.3
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 187.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 57.1 g