1/3 Photos of Roast Chicken With Ginger, Macaroni and Caramelized Tomatoes
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Another Provencal recipe (Poulet Roti au Gingembre, Coudes au Jus) by way of Richard Olney. Cooking time includes an hour for draining/drying the tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chopped tomatoes in a colander and salt them and let them sit, draining, for about an hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 3Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and smear the cavity with the grated ginger.
- 4Smear the outside of the bird with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Place the chicken on its side in an oval baking dish and place the dish in the oven.
- 6When the bird begins to color (loght golden), turn it on its other side, then, when that side has begun to color, turn it on its back.
- 7After 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F, remove the excess fat from the pan and begin to baste with lemon juice.
- 8Bring the wine to a simmer and reserve.
- 9When there is no more lemon juice, pour the wine into the pan and continue basting.
- 10Roast for about 45 minutes more, or until juice runs clear when the thigh is pricked above the drumstick joint.
- 11When the chicken is done, remove from the oven, and let it rest while you drain any excess fat from the pan juices.
- 12Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in generously salted, vigorously boiling water for about 12 minutes.
- 13In a heavy frying over high heat, add the garlic to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 14As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, add the tomatoes.
- 15Shake the pan constantly, tossing the tomatoes repeatedly for about a mnute or so, until they are nearly dry and give off a caramelized scent.
- 16Add the basil leaves, tearing them by hand, toss the tomato mixture again and remove from heat.
- 17Drain the macaroni and place in a wide shallow serving dish which you have warmed (easiest to do this by placing dish in sink when you drain the pasta--the pasta water will warm the dish).
- 18Add the tomatoes and the chicken's roasting juices to the macaroni and toss well.
- 19Carve the chicken at the table and serve it with the macaroni.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Ginger, Macaroni and Caramelized Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1031.3
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 187.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 57.1 g