1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Simply delicious recipe that I adapted from Susan Herrmann Loomis's "French Farmhouse Cookbook", and a meal on Ed's "please make again" list. I serve this with a huge green salad loaded with tomatoes and cucumbers and top it with the warm, garlicky, chicken-roasted croutons...heaven on a plate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Squeeze the lemon half into the chicken cavity then generously salt and pepper cavity, sprinkle in the thyme, and place the lemon half inside.
- 3Roast chicken, breast side up, at 450 degrees F in a large baking dish for about 50 minutes or until golden and almost cooked through, basting a couple of times.
- 4After 50 minutes, add the bread cubes and garlic to the roasting dish and stir around in the drippings a bit; roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken drumstick is easy to move around.
- 5Remove chicken from the baking dish, salt and pepper it to taste, and let it rest on a warm platter, breast side down (to allow juices to settle).
- 6Stir croutons and garlic together again (mashing the garlic as little as you go) in the chicken juices/drippings, and return to the oven for another 5 or 10 minutes until they are a deep golden color and crispy.
- 7Carve chicken and serve on a platter; surround with the crouton/garlic mixture and drizzle any remaining chicken juices onto the croutons.
- 8Croutons are AWESOME served warm on a cool green salad!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Garlic Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1184.4
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 1283.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 69.5 g