Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You'll love this one if you like garlic!
- 1 (3 lb) whole roasting chickens
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground,to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh celery leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 loaf crusty French bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil into large roasting pan (pan must have a tight fitting lid).
- Place peeled garlic cloves inside chicken.
- Tie 1 sprig each of rosemary, thyme, parsley, and celery leaves together and place inside chicken.
- Place chicken in pan and turn to coat all sides with oil.
- Scatter 40 unpeeled garlic cloves around chicken, along with remaining herbs and bay leaves.
- Pour white wine over all.
- Cover tightly, first with heavy duty foil, then with lid.
- Roast for 90 minutes to 2 hours or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Slice french bread and toast in oven until golden.
- Transfer chicken to a warm serving platter.
- Remove garlic cloves from roasting pan, pinch to remove skins, and place in a small serving bowl.
- Mash garlic with a fork until smooth.
- Serve chicken with pan juices, toasted bread, and garlic for spreading on bread.
We loved this chicken! The herbs go together very nicely. Very tender and tasty.
I made this for thanksgiving and got great feedback. The flavor of the herbs really infused the chicken meat and it practically fell off the bone. and you are right, I love garlic and I loved this one!