1/2 Photos of Roast Chicken With Dried Fruit and Almonds
1 hr 30 mins
Inspired by all that's great about Sephardic cooking, this roast chicken feels both homey and exotic. This is for 2 birds. This can also be made with chicken pieces for a more everyday meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb pitted prune, halved
- 12 ounces pitted dates, halved
- 10 ounces dried apricot halves (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (4 -4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water (or more)
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted
- 1Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and sauté until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Transfer onions to large bowl; mix in prunes, dates, apricots, sugar, and cinnamon.
- 4Do ahead Can be made 1 day ahead.
- 5Cover and chill.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F Spread fruit mixture over bottom of large roasting pan.
- 7Tuck chicken wing tips under.
- 8Rub each chicken with 1/2 tablespoon remaining olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- 9Sprinkle each with salt and pepper; place chickens, side by side, atop fruit mixture. Pour 11/2 cups water around chickens.
- 10Roast chickens 1 hour.
- 11Turn pan around; add more water to fruit mixture by 1/4 cupfuls if beginning to dry.
- 12Continue to roast chickens until brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 45 minutes.
- 13Transfer chickens to carving board; let stand 10 minutes.
- 14Spoon fruit onto platter; top with chickens and any accumulated juices.
- 15Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Dried Fruit and Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (668 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1220.3
- Calories from Fat 574
- Total Fat 63.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 215.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 79.8 g
- Protein 57.5 g