Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The Middle Eastern spices infuse a wonderful, exotic flavor to the chicken. The aroma of this roasting in your oven may inspire you to belly dance!
- 1 (6 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon, halved
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Place chicken on rack in large roasting pan.
- Stir oil and next 7 ingredients in small bowl to form paste.
- Rub spice paste all over chicken.
- Roast chicken 1 hour.
- Squeeze juice from lemon halves over chicken, place lemon halves inside main cavity.
- Continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer to platter, let stand 15 minutes.
This is an excellent recipe. I've been making it for a while now but never posted a review. I keep the spice mix around for grilled chicken breasts as well. I serve it with yogurt cucumber sauce on the side.
Excellent moist and super-tasty chicken! Thanks!
This was delicious. I didn't make any changes and rubbed the paste onto the chicken underneath the skin.