2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 25 mins
What a lovely dish for Sunday supper or is it dinner? We made this for an Easter Sunday meal for the staff, where we waited on them, as much as we can! They enjoyed the feast which consisted of a salad of argula & baby spinach with a fruity vinaigrette, a rice ring with mushrooms, & my old standby haricots verts with sliced almonds. It was really great and for dessert we had chocolate layer cake with ganache and coffee ice cream for whoever wanted it. Not a diet friendly meal - at all!!! You can tell, I didn't plan it. However it was enjoyed by all. F&W Magazine's Food and Wine Test Kitchen, from America's Powerhouse wines, October, 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 3/4-4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 1/4 lb chicken liver, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped gaeta olives (we only had black olives!)
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Set the chicken in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it.
- 3Sprinkle the thyme in the cavity and season the bird inside and out with salt.
- 4Tie the legs together.
- 5Pour the olive oil over the chicken and scatter the garlic cloves and peppercorns in the pan.
- 6Roast the chicken for about 20 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and golden.
- 7Transfer the garlic to a coarse sieve set over a small saucepan.
- 8Roast the chicken for about 1 hour longer, or until the juices in the cavity run clear.
- 9Tip the chicken in the pan to drain the juices, then transfer the bird to a carving board and cover loosely with foil.
- 10Skim the fat from the pan juices and reserve 1 tablespoon.
- 11Press the garlic through the sieve into the saucepan and pour in the pan juices with the peppercorns.
- 12In a medium skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of reserved fat just until smoking.
- 13Add the chicken livers, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and cook over high heat until browned on both sides and pink in the center, about 1 minute.
- 14Add the livers to the pan sauce and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- 15Season with salt and remove from the heat.
- 16Carve the chicken and arrange on plates.
- 17Spoon the sauce on top, garnish with the olives and parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Livers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Chicken Livers
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.6
- Calories from Fat 651
- Total Fat 72.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 298.6 mg
- Sodium 247.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 52.9 g