Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have not tried this. I can't provide the source because I cut the recipe from the source material. In Italian it is called Pollo Arrosto al Balsamico.
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Tuck wings behind the back.
- Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin on the breast and legs, being careful not to tear the skin.Insert a few of the sage leaves and some of the garlic under the skin, distributing them evenly.
- Pat the skin firmly back in place.Tuck the remaining sage leaves and garlic into the cavity.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Rub some of the mixture over the bird, and pour the remainder inside the cavity.
- Cross the drumsticks and, using kitchen string, tie the legs together.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken basting occasionally with the pan drippings, about 1 1/2 hours or 170°F.
- Serve carved chicken on a warmed platter with pan juices poured over it.