Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Most people enjoy chicken roasted with some vegetables in the pan. In lieu of vegetables, this recipe features roasted radicchio, a novel idea. From Real Simple Magazine October 2007.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head radicchio, quartered
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Rub the chicken, inside and out, with 2 t. of the oil and season with 1 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper. Place in a roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the radicchio, vinegar, rosemary, 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper, and the 2 T. oil. Add to the pan and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 180F) and the radicchio is soft and brown at the edges, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before carving. Divide the radicchio among individual plates and serve with the chicken.