Recipe by Zurie
There are several similar recipes on Zaar, but I haven't seen one exactly like mine. It's so quick and simple, especially when you don't have much time and just want to chuck something in the oven .... PS: Zaar insists on saying "chickens". We're talking ONE nice chicken, singular ...
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Oh this is yummy! Delicious chicken. I love the flavor from the basting sauce. What a wonderful combination! I ended up having to rush my poor little chicken, though. Once I put it in the oven, I realized that we didnt' have that amount of time before going to a play...oops! I increased the heat to 450 degrees and cooked the chicken for an hour (while roasted some cut up potatoes, too). Luckily, it worked. Next time, I will adhere to your directions though! Thank you for posting this lovely recipe. Made in memory of Gideon. <3
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tangy grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt, see directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Use a plump chicken, and remove any loose fat. Keep whole.
- Mix the lemon juice, honey and mustard in a small bowl, heat slightly in a microwave, then whisk to mix.
- Add the chopped rosemary to the basting sauce.
- *Use a high quality, tangy and grainy mustard.
- Put the chicken in an oven dish into which it will fit fairly snugly.
- Using a brush, brush the chicken all over, under the wings, along the sides, with the marinade. The leftover marinade goes into the cavity -- turn the chicken round to spread it.
- Now sprinkle chicken all over and in cavity with a seasoning salt of your choice. (I use a sea salt to which fine dried herbs have been added).
- Don't add any water or oil, as the chicken is just fine as it is, as long as it's not a thin, blue-tinged bird!
- Cover chicken lightly -- don't tuck in -- with foil, as the marinade burns easily. Put into oven.
- Take OFF the foil after 45 minutes, and let the chicken brown well. Don't let it burn.
- Depending on weight chicken is done in 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with baby potatoes in the skin and vegetables of your choice, plus a mixed green salad.