Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A modified cooking light recipe. Great for a fall weeknight dinner--leftovers make a tasty chicken salad for lunches!! Use pieces of dried fruit that are roughly as big as your garlic cloves to prevent burning. Serve with crusty fresh bread or a steamed barley pilaf for a tasty meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone in & skin on (about 2#)
- salt and pepper
- 20 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 ounces shallots, peeled & halved
- 2 medium yams (about 1#) or 2 medium potatoes, cubed (about 1#)
- 1 small winter squash, peeled and cubed (about 1#)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 fennel bulbs, cored & cut into wedges
- 1 cup dried fruit (apricots, plums, cherries, apples, etc. all work quite well)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or milk, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your roasting pan (I use a shallow 12 inch dutch oven). Place pan in hot oven for 5 minutes or so, till oil is hot.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place skin side down in the pan. Spread garlic, shallots, yams, squash, thyme, rosemary, and fennel around chicken; sprinkle vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 450 degF for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and turn chicken over. Stir veggies and add dried fruit to pan, stirring it in well. Bake 15 minutes or till chicken is done. Remove chicken and veggies from pan and discard thyme and rosemary sprigs. Loosely cover chicken and veggies to keep warm while you make gravy.
- Place roasting pan over medium high heat. Add broth and half the wine (or milk, if using), stirring to scrape up browned bits.
- Combine flour and remaining wine (or milk) with a whisk; stir till smooth. Add flour mixture to pan and stir till well blended. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly, till thickened. Stir in fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve gravy with chicken and veggies.