1/1 Photo of Roast Chicken Stuffed With Fennel and Garlic
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This is, hands-down, the best roast chicken I've ever had. I'm even willing to go toe-to-toe with my mom on this one. Not only is it moist and flavorful, but the fennel really adds a mellow dimension to the dish that is so different and just tasty. Even my boyfriend who hates fennel can polish this off. From Bon Appetit, October 2003.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, coarsely crushed in resealable plastic bag
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 cup vernaccia di san gimignano wine or 1 cup other dry white wine
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1Cook fennel in large pot of boiling salted water until tender when pierced with knife, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- 2Transfer to bowl. Mix in 2 tablespoons oil; garlic; 1 tablespoon each fennel seeds, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, and marjoram; then 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 3Preheat oven to 450°F Mix remaining 1 tablespoon each fennel seeds and herbs in small bowl.
- 4Rinse chickens inside and out; pat dry.
- 5Rub chickens inside and out with lemon halves, squeezing some of juice into cavities. Rub outside of chickens with 1/4 cup oil, then fennel seed mixture. Sprinkle chickens generously with salt and pepper.
- 6Stuff chickens with leftover lemon halves. Tie legs together. Place chickens, breast side down, in large roasting pan. Arrange fresh fennel mixture around chickens.
- 7Roast chickens 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices. Combine wine and broth and pour over chickens. Roast 15 minutes. Turn chickens breast side up.
- 8Roast chickens until juices run clear when pierced with fork in thickest part of thigh, about 40 minutes longer. Transfer chickens and fennel mixture to platter. Pour pan juices into bowl; skim off fat. Pour juices over chickens and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken Stuffed With Fennel and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 853.3
- Calories from Fat 547
- Total Fat 60.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 567.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 53.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: