Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious, tart-sweet, with a delicious glaze and you get to flambe :-) Can't remember where I got this recipe, but I have made it to aclaim for over 40 years.
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, whole
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 (1 1/2 fluid ounce) jigger orange liqueur
- salt and pepper
- Take the chicken and rinse and clean.
- Open a pocket between the breast and skin on the breast.
- Sprinkle the body cavity with salt and pepper.
- Stuff with oranges, onions, and bay leaves.
- Using a skewer seal the cavity.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Salt and pepper the exterior of the bird.
- Roast breast down on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully turn the bird breast side up.
- Roast until juices run clear in the thigh.
- Remove from the oven.
- Heat the orange liqueur, pour over, and touch a match to him -- carefully you don't want a house fire!
- When the flames are gone, give it some minutes for the juices to return to the meat.
- Slice and serve.