Recipe by andypandy
Dutch free range chcken recipe... easy no mess no fuss..
Top Review by Gerry
WONDERFUL chicken. One of the recipes made and enjoyed during the Winter Olympics. A great choice! Easy and no fuss for sure, just the kind of recipe that allowed me to watch the curling and have a great meal ready to go. Made for great chicken sandwiches too. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Into my Family Favourites for this one! Another andypandy winner at our house.
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh thyme (amount is optional)
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 5 medium red potatoes, sliced 3/4 inches
- 8 garlic cloves, skins left on
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, seeds removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Clean and wash and dry chicken.
- Place hand between the skin and breast and rub under with the thyme.
- Place more thyme inside the cavity.
- Place chopped onions, potaotes, and garlic around the bottom of chicken in roasting pan.
- Heat the chicken stock and butter together and then pour over the chicken and vegies.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and then throw it into the cavity also.
- Sprinkle all with salt and pepper.
- Roast 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken, now backside up, baste with juices in pan.
- Roast for another 30 minutes, basting every now and then.
- Potatoes should be tender, and chicken therm should read 180 degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest ten minutes after removing from oven tented.
- Serve chicken with vegies and pan juices.