Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Dutch free range chcken recipe... easy no mess no fuss..
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh thyme (amount is optional)
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 5 medium red potatoes, sliced 3/4 inches
- 8 garlic cloves, skins left on
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, seeds removed
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Clean and wash and dry chicken.
- Place hand between the skin and breast and rub under with the thyme.
- Place more thyme inside the cavity.
- Place chopped onions, potaotes, and garlic around the bottom of chicken in roasting pan.
- Heat the chicken stock and butter together and then pour over the chicken and vegies.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and then throw it into the cavity also.
- Sprinkle all with salt and pepper.
- Roast 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken, now backside up, baste with juices in pan.
- Roast for another 30 minutes, basting every now and then.
- Potatoes should be tender, and chicken therm should read 180 degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest ten minutes after removing from oven tented.
- Serve chicken with vegies and pan juices.
WONDERFUL chicken. One of the recipes made and enjoyed during the Winter Olympics. A great choice! Easy and no fuss for sure, just the kind of recipe that allowed me to watch the curling and have a great meal ready to go. Made for great chicken sandwiches too. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Into my Family Favourites for this one! Another andypandy winner at our house.
Well, sorry but I had to tweak this recipe a lot, but it gets 5 stars for being easy and helpful in guiding me using the ingreds I had on hand, and the taste was great, too. I never cook whole chckens (due to diet and preference), so I used 2 med-large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I used a 9x13 baking pan which I greased lightly with a mix of olive and canola oil. I pared and sliced 4 small-med Russets, threw in 2 cups or so of partially thawed crinkle-cut carrots, thinly sliced one small onion, and used nearly 2 T jarred, minced garlic (that's supposedly the equivalent of 12 garlic cloves!) I rubbed a bit of olive oil on the breasts and sprinkled with dried Thyme, but then I thought to try Recipe #179240 I made recently, since that also had thyme in it, so I used about 1 1/2 T of that poultry seasoning on each breast. I also sprinkled some salt and pepper on the breasts. I laid the garlic in the bottom of the pan, chicken breasts on top in the center of the pan and then the potato slices, carrots, and onions all around. I sprinkled a tad more jarred minced garlic on top. I used only 1 T of Smart Balance with Flaxseed Oil Spread and melted that when I mixed up a chicken bouillon cube and a cup of water in the microwave, then whisked a scant 3 T of bottled lemon juice in (I forgot I was only supposed to use the equivalent of a half a lemon not a whole one). I sprinkled a bit more salt over all and a very generous amount of black pepper. Covered with aluminum foil and baked at 425F for 30 mins, then turned the chicken over and baked uncovered for 30mins moe. Due to my serious tweaking, the chicken was dry, but still flavorful. The veggies were awesome. Next time I'll marinate the chicken breasts and possibly adjust the cook time. The only reason why my chicken was dry was because I did't used butter, and used a lot less of the Smart Balance, and my chicken was all white meat. Bf said it smelled yummy while cooking. This was good, and hope to make it again! Thanks, andypandy! :)
can't go wrong with this recipe. Simple, yet oh so satisfying. I added some baby carrots to the mix and the family went wild ;-) Thank you