1/4 Photos of Roast Chicken Perfecto
2 hrs 20 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
I don't think anyone originated this one. It's bits and pieces I've read in books, seen on cooking shows, and observed in friends kitchens over the years. I just assembled it in it's present form. It's not mine even if it does have my name on it. My Mother used to say, "NEVER ROAST A CHICKEN! The oven's hot so it doesn't cost any more to roast two of them and you can always find a use for a bit of chicken." She's right, cook them in pairs, they're more comfortable that way. Chop and/or shredd the leftovers, put them into freezer bags, 1/4 lb per bag. LABEL THEM! After they're frozen gather them into a gallon ziplock to keep control of them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (2 is better, double seasonings if making 2)
- 2 -3 sprigs whole fresh herbs (thyme or Rosemary are good for the first time but try others, play with it)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 -7 key limes or 6 -7 regular limes or 6 -7 lemons (work well too)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (won't burn like butter will)
- 1Preheat oven to 350f.
- 2Trim excess fat from bird(s).
- 3Wash, pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Salt and Pepper the cavity.
- 5Stuff herbs into cavity.
- 6Cut Limes in half, fill cavity full.
- 7From the neck opening work your fingers between the skin and the breast on each side.
- 8Work 3-4 slices of Lime into each of these pockets.
- 9Rub outside of bird with ghee.
- 10Lightly Salt and Pepper outside of the bird (s).
- 11Tie legs together with cotton kitchen twine.
- 12Tuck excess neck skin into throat opening.
- 13Place, breast side down, on a roasting rack in an appropriate size pan.
- 14Roast 1 3/4-2 hours,'til juices between the leg and thigh run clear.
- 15Remove to platter, tent with foil, let rest 20 minutes.
- 16Serve with any side dish you like that can be baked at the same time.
- 17One of my favorites is to bake whole Russets,Yams, or Sweet potatoes and mash them as you would boiled potatoes, preferably with whole roasted Garlic folded in carefully to keep the garlic as whole as possible.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken Perfecto
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.4
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 298.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: