Recipe by breezee1984
These appetizers are AWESOME! I found the recipe in a copy of Sunset magazine from my mothers house years ago and added my own touches--enjoy! Note: The best way for the chicken is to purchase a deli chicken about 2 pounds.
Top Review by Crunchy Numbers
Wow, these are better than any restaurant nachos! I'm not sure if the recipe author really intended to list 2 CUPS of chopped chipotles, but I just used 2 chipotle peppers and it was plenty spicy. I added a little extra water and an extra splash of white wine, and used two shredded chicken breasts. Worked out great; not too dry but not too soupy either, and the chips stayed crisp. I made homemade chips by cutting white corn tortillas into wedges and frying in about 1/4 inch of hot oil. They cook up fast and taste so much fresher than bagged chips.
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chipotle chiles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine, of choice
- 24 corn tortilla chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced avocado
- fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 1/2 to 3 quart pan over medium high heat frequently stir onion in olive oil until onion begins to brown 4 to 7 minutes.
- Add cumin and oregano stir until fragrant bout 30 seconds.
- Add chiles, tomato paste, white wine, and 1/2 cup water,bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring often, to blend favors about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir until hot.
- Meanwhile arrange tortilla chips in a single layer in a 12 by 17 inch pan (preferably glass).
- Sprinkle equal portions of cheese on each chip and spoon chicken mixture on top.
- Bake in a 450 degree regular oven until cheese begins to bubble about 3 minutes.
- With a spatula, carefully transfer tortilla chips to a platter.
- Top each with cilantro avocado crema.
- Mix all left over ingredients to make the cilantro avocado crema, except the sour cream/ yogurt. Add last to chips and top each with a cilantro leaf.