Roast Chicken & Barley Pilaf
- Roast chicken: heat oven to 450°F.
- Gently lift skin from breast and legs and season with salt and pepper: place some sliced garlic and fresh herbs under skin. Place remaining garlic and herbs in the cavity of the chicken.
- Place chicken on a rack in a large roasting pan. Pour chicken broth into the bottom of the pan. roast for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Make Barley Pilaf: Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat oil. Add onion, carrot and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add broth, barley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Stirring occasionally. Add a few tablespoons water if mixture becomes too dry.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes. Remove skin, slice and serve with pilaf.