2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This was one of the winners of Emeril's "Cooking with Kids" contest, and we think it is wonderful. Recipe from Rita Mathesen, White Plains, NY Hope you enjoy it!! (Note -- Preparation time does not include one hour to marinate the chicken in the refrigerator.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- Emeril's Original Essence, to taste (you can buy in the seasoning section, or there are several recipes for it posted here on Recipezaar)
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 18 baby carrots
- olive oil, to taste
- 2 lemons
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1Season the inside AND outside of the chicken with Emeril's Essence.
- 2Cover the chicken and return to the refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate.
- 3Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 4Place the chicken on the center column of an angel food cake pan with the legs touching the bottom of the pan.
- 5Place the cake pan on top of a pizza pan, or other flat pan with a small rim, to catch any fat or juices which might run out.
- 6Roast the chicken for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until it is a beautiful coppery brown -- But NOTE: After 1 hour of roasting, the vegetables which follow here will be added to the oven**.
- 7Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half widthwise. Place the flat side down and cut the halves in half. Repeat so that each potato is cut into 8 wedges. Place in a casserole dish.
- 8Repeat the same process with the onion, and add the baby carrots.
- 9Drizzle the vegetables with some olive oil and sprinkle with some of Emeril's Essence. Toss.
- 10Cover and place in the oven after the chicken has been cooking for one hour.
- 11When the chicken is done, remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 12Gremolata Butter: Grate the zest of 2 lemons into a bowl.
- 13Using a garlic press, press the 6 garlic cloves into the same bowl.
- 14Finely chop the parsley, and add to the bowl.
- 15Add the room temperature butter to the bowl.
- 16Mix all ingredients in the bowl together well.
- 17(If making the gremolata butter ahead of time, refrigerate until ready to serve.).
- 18Serve the chicken and vegetables with a spoonful of gremolata butter on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken and Vegetables With Gremolata Butter
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 922.0
- Calories from Fat 627
- Total Fat 69.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.5 g
- Cholesterol 259.5 mg
- Sodium 208.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 45.4 g