Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This was one of the winners of Emeril's "Cooking with Kids" contest, and we think it is wonderful. Recipe from Rita Mathesen, White Plains, NY Hope you enjoy it!! (Note -- Preparation time does not include one hour to marinate the chicken in the refrigerator.)
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- Emeril's Original Essence, to taste (you can buy in the seasoning section, or there are several recipes for it posted here on Recipezaar)
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 18 baby carrots
- olive oil, to taste
- 2 lemons
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Season the inside AND outside of the chicken with Emeril's Essence.
- Cover the chicken and return to the refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the chicken on the center column of an angel food cake pan with the legs touching the bottom of the pan.
- Place the cake pan on top of a pizza pan, or other flat pan with a small rim, to catch any fat or juices which might run out.
- Roast the chicken for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until it is a beautiful coppery brown -- But NOTE: After 1 hour of roasting, the vegetables which follow here will be added to the oven**.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half widthwise. Place the flat side down and cut the halves in half. Repeat so that each potato is cut into 8 wedges. Place in a casserole dish.
- Repeat the same process with the onion, and add the baby carrots.
- Drizzle the vegetables with some olive oil and sprinkle with some of Emeril's Essence. Toss.
- Cover and place in the oven after the chicken has been cooking for one hour.
- When the chicken is done, remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Gremolata Butter: Grate the zest of 2 lemons into a bowl.
- Using a garlic press, press the 6 garlic cloves into the same bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley, and add to the bowl.
- Add the room temperature butter to the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients in the bowl together well.
- (If making the gremolata butter ahead of time, refrigerate until ready to serve.).
- Serve the chicken and vegetables with a spoonful of gremolata butter on top.