1/1 Photo of Roast Chicken and Onion Tacos
1 hr 20 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
Serve with a cabbage slaw dressed with lime juice, oil, and toasted cumin seeds. Use your favorite green salsa on the tacos. The recipe comes from Sunset.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel onions and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch-thick wedges.
- 2Place in a 12-by 17-inch roasting pan with 2-inch sides.
- 3In a small bowl, mix oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 4Add half the orengano mixture and 1 tablespoon olive oil to onions; mix well.
- 5Set one or two wire racks (overlap,if necessary) over onions, extending beyond pan sides so racks are not resting directly on onions.
- 6Remove giblets from chicken: discard or reserve for other uses.
- 7With poultry scissers, cut along one side of backbone of chicken.
- 8Pull bird open and lay,skin side up, on a flat surface; push down to crack bones slightly so bird lies reasonably flat.
- 9Pull off and discard lumps of fat.
- 10Rinse bird well, pat dry.
- 11Rub remaining 1 tablespoon oil and oregano mixture over bird.
- 12Set skin side up, on racks over onions.
- 13Roast in a 425 degree oven until thermometer reaches 170 degrees when inserted through the thickest part of chicken breast to bone and 180 degrees when inserted through thickest part of thigh at joint, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 14Set chichen on platter or cutting board and let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- 15Remove racks from pan.
- 16if onions are not browned, stir and continue roasting until browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 17Scrap browned bits off pan bottom and stir into onions; spoon onoins into bowl.
- 18Wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and heat in microwave oven until just hot and steamy, about 45 seconds.
- 19Serve chicken with onions, tortillas, and salsa.
- 20To eat, cut chicken off bones in chunks or slices and let guest wrap chicken in tortillas, with onions, salsa and salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken and Onion Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (1328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 259.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 16.0 g