an easy week night favourite - known in our house as the "Tuesday night special". I found this in the London "Metro" newspaper years ago (a freebie on the tube) and have been making it ever since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g dried couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 750 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon seasoning, of your choice (try cajun, portugese, cumin or smoked paprika)
- 1 -2 tomato
- 1 lebanese cucumbers or 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/3 cup sultanas or 1/3 cup raisins
- boiling water
- 1Preheat oven to 180 deg Celcius (350 deg F).
- 2Prepare the couscous according to packet directions, using the absorption method. When the water has been absorbed, fluff the couscous up with a fork and mix through the tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Set aside.
- 3Trim the chicken fillets to remove any excess fat, and remove skin if necessary. Rub both sides of the chicken fillets with the additional olive oil and sprinkle the seasoning you have chosen over both sides of the fillets.
- 4Lay the fillets flat in a baking tray or roasting pan (I normally line the tray with baking paper to make the clean-up process easier!).
- 5Roast the fillets in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (pierce the thickest piece with a skewer to check the juices run clear). The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- 6While the chicken is cooking, dice the tomato, cucumber and avocado, and soak the sultanas in boiling water (enough to cover) for approx 5 minutes, then drain.
- 7Squeeze the lemon juice into the prepared couscous and mix through evenly.
- 8Stir the tomato, cucumber, avocado and sultanas through the couscous.
- 9To serve: spoon couscous onto plates for four people. Slice the cooked chicken on the diagonal and lay on top of the couscous. Any juices from the cooking process can also be spooned onto the chicken and couscous.
- 10This can also be served on a bed of salad greens ie rocket, spinach or any crisp lettuce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken and Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.2
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 155.6 mg
- Sodium 177.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 48.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: