Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Make and share this Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole chickens
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- If applicable, remove neck and giblets from chicken and reserve for another use.
- Rinse chicken with cold water, and drain cavity well.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt inside cavity.
- Place lemon half inside cavity.
- Stir together pepper, rosemary, and remaining 1 tsp salt.
- Brush outside of chicken with oil.
- Rub 2 1/2 tsp pepper mixture into skin.
- Sprinkle remaining pepper mixture over both sides of breast.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a lightly greased wire rack in a lightly greased shallow roasting pan.
- Add 3/4 cup water to pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes; decrease oven temp to 375°, and bake 30 minutes.
- Baste chicken with pan juices; drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake 15-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 165°, shielding with foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.
- Remove chicken from oven, and baste with pan juices.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.