Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
The spices in this dish are amazing and the yogurt helps to make the meat extra tender. Remember to leave time for the chicken to marinate. Thanks to the British chef Nigel Slater for this recipe.
- 4 pieces chicken (breasts are my favourite)
- 250 ml plain yogurt
for the spice paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 inch gingerroot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 cardamom pods, the seeds of
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 teaspoons coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf
- Put the whole peppercorns, cardamom seeds and cumin in a spice mill and grind them into a fine powder. You can also do this with a mortar and pestle.
- Put the water in a blender along with the salt, ginger, garlic, cayenne, vinegar and ground spices.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken.
- Stir in the spice paste.
- Add the chicken and make sure all pieces are covered in the marinade.
- Break the cinnamon stick in two and tuck it in with the chicken.
- Cover and marinate for at least two hours and as much as overnight.
- Set the oven to 220 C or 425°F.
- Bake the chicken in a shallow dish for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- The yogurt should have formed a dark brown crust.
- Sprinkle with mint leaves.
Its a great way to have low cal chicken. I marinated for 6 hours and baked for 1 hour. Spicy and full of taste.I served with green rice#143499. We had a very tasty dinner. Thanks, I plan on having it often in the future!
This is such a great chicken recipe. I have a very similar one by Arabella Boxer, which I have been using for years, the only difference being a teaspoon of turmeric in the marinade, I think she calls it "Summer Chicken". This has to be one of the all-time great chicken recipes.