Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From an Elle Magazine recipe card. Need 12 hours of marination time!
Make and share this Roast Caramelized Veal Loin recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 4 oranges
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 1⁄2 lbs veal loin, roast
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Combine wine, juice of 1 orange, thyme, bay leaf, 1 tablespoons of the olive oil, the minced shallots, the garlic clove and the pepper together in a large dish. Place the roast in the dish and marinate in the refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight, turning from time to time.
- The next day, remove from marinade and strain the marinating liquid.
- Place the marinating liquid in a pan and reduce by half over high heat. Add the honey and season with salt.
- Paint the veal with some of the reduced marinade.
- Heat the remaining oil in a casserole large enough to hold the roast. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the remaining marinade; put the casserole in a 450 degree oven, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, covered. Baste frequently with the liquid.
- Peel the oranges and cut into segments. When the meat is cooked, remove it to a warm platter. Place the orange segments in the cooking liquid, and cook over low heat until they are warmed.
- Serve the carved veal on the platter, garnished with the warmed orange segments and coated with the cooking juices.