Roast Caramelized Veal Loin
- Combine wine, juice of 1 orange, thyme, bay leaf, 1 tablespoons of the olive oil, the minced shallots, the garlic clove and the pepper together in a large dish. Place the roast in the dish and marinate in the refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight, turning from time to time.
- The next day, remove from marinade and strain the marinating liquid.
- Place the marinating liquid in a pan and reduce by half over high heat. Add the honey and season with salt.
- Paint the veal with some of the reduced marinade.
- Heat the remaining oil in a casserole large enough to hold the roast. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the remaining marinade; put the casserole in a 450 degree oven, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, covered. Baste frequently with the liquid.
- Peel the oranges and cut into segments. When the meat is cooked, remove it to a warm platter. Place the orange segments in the cooking liquid, and cook over low heat until they are warmed.
- Serve the carved veal on the platter, garnished with the warmed orange segments and coated with the cooking juices.