Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
High in fibre, low in cholesterol, this salad is great for barbeques, picnics or lunch boxes. It is vegan & diabetic friendly. Recipe courtesy of Sanitarium foods.
- 2 red capsicums
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (310 g) can sweet corn
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Place capsicums and garlic on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic and cook capsicums for a further 10 minutes until skin blisters and blackens. Then remove and leave to sit for five minutes.
- Place rice, chickpeas, corn, parsley and basil in a large bowl.
- Remove skin and seeds from capsicums, dice, add to rice mixture and mix well.
- Remove skin from garlic and chop well.
- Place in a jar and add the oil, vinegar and sugar, screw on the lid and shake well.
- Pour over rice salad and mix well.