Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on a recipe by Chef Dominique Rizzo , seen on Ready Steady Cook. Try adding in some other grilled veges- corn, eggplant or some fresh chopped tomato Nice served with grilled chicken or meats
- 3 red capsicums (red bell peppers)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mixed herbs (eg parsley, oregano, thyme, mint)
- 1⁄2 lemon
- Char grill whole capsicums by holding them over a gas flame until charred all over or by placng them on a hot grill pan. When cooled a little, peel and discard the skins. Thinly slice the flesh into strips.
- Rinse the quinoa grains, as you would rice.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes or until the quinoa is tender, drain.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, red onion and shredded basil in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced white onion and cook until softened. Add the roasted capsicum strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixed herbs over a serving plate.Squeeze over the lemon juice. Top with the quinoa , onion and capsicum strips. Serve.
We really enjoyed the fresh flavors. I used a combination of flat leaf parsley, mint and sage. I look forward to giving this a try when I have fresh basil on hand. Made for Aussie Swap.