1/3 Photos of Roast Capon With Chili-Cilantro Rub and Roasted Carrots
3 hrs 45 mins
My Grandma used to make roasted capon all the time. She preferred to make capon instead of chicken so when I saw a capon recipe it caught my eye. Grandma would never use these spices but I would! I clipped this from a cooking magazine but not sure which one. Total time from start to finish is 3 1/2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 lb) capons or 1 (8 lb) roasting chickens
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, like ancho
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 lbs medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds crosswise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Rinse capon and snip away any excess fat from cavity using kitchen shears.
- 2Pat capon dry and season with salt inside and out.
- 3Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 5While capon is standing, mash garlic to a paste using a mortar and pestle.
- 6Add cilantro, chile powder, cumin, and butter and mash to a paste again.
- 7Arrange capon, breast side up, with neck toward you, and gently work your fingers between skin and flesh of the breast, working your way down to thighs.
- 8Rub 1/3 of the butter mixture under skin of breast and thighs and rub another 1/3 into the cavity of the bird, then tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- 9Put capon in a buttered roasting pan.
- 10Scatter carrots around bird and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Pour water over the carrots.
- 12Roast in middle of the oven 45 minutes.
- 13Remove pan from the oven and brush top and sides of the bird with the remaining 1/3 of the butter mixture.
- 14Continue to roast basting capon and carrots with pan juices every 20 minutes (tent capon with foil if it gets too brown), until a thermometer inserted 2" into fleshy part of a thigh registers 170 degrees, about 2 hours more.
- 15Transfer carrots with some of the pan juices to a heated serving dish and keep warm, covered.
- 16Let capon stand 20 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Capon With Chili-Cilantro Rub and Roasted Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (790 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1539.1
- Calories from Fat 988
- Total Fat 109.8 g
- Saturated Fat 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 469.2 mg
- Sodium 1033.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 115.5 g