1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From October 2006 Cooking Light Magazine. Dark, flavorful goose is a popular dish around the holidays, especially in Europe. Goose sizes vary widely, so adjust the cooking time accordingly (plan on cooking 12 minutes per pound or until a thermometer registers 165°).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 -8 lb) goose, whole dressed Canada, skin on
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 2 (3 inch) fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2Sprinkle cavity of goose with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stuff cavity loosely with onion, bell pepper, and parsley sprigs. Tie the legs together with string. Place the goose, breast-side up, on the rack of a roasting pan.
- 3Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°. Let stand for 10 minutes. Discard skin, onion, bell pepper, and parsley sprigs. Reserve 1 tablespoon goose fat from roasting pan.
- 4Heat reserved goose fat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and port; cook for 6 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates.
- 5Combine the flour, milk, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add milk mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thick.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Canada Goose With Mushroom-Port Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.4
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 173.3 mg
- Sodium 493.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 53.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh parsley sprigs
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth