Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this old Shaker recipe in the Maple Syrup Cookbook by Ken Haedrich. The Shakers carried their beliefs in simplicity and purity over to their cooking, using fresh ingredients, simply prepared. This is a wonderful dish - so juicy and tender! Cook time includes reducing the sauce.
Red Wine-Blueberry Glaze
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, picked over and washed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 (1 lb) bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- Bring the blueberries, wine, maple syrup, and mustard to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- To roast chicken:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water and pat dry.
- Split the chicken breasts in half.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and sprinkle with the parsley and as much salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic as you like.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and spread with the glaze.
- Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until the meat is tender and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a fork.