Top Review by Lalaloula
This is a very unique, flavourful and yummy dip recipe!!!! It was very easy to make and looked so beautiful! I luved the addition of roasted garlic and cumin, but felt that the amount of coriander called for was a little too much. That might just be a personal taste preference, though seeing that Peggy needed to double the spices. Maybe it also depends on the type of beets you use. Anyways, this dip was creamy, tasty and will be made again. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, Jan! Made and reviewed for Make My Recipe Edn #11 May 2010.
- 1 bunch beetroot
- 1 head garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the leaves and stems of beetroot, leaving 2-3 cm stem attached.
- Wash, place in a baking dish, cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, then add the garlic, recover and continue to bake for 30 minutes more.
- Dry toast the spices in a small non-stick frypan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic.
- Wearing rubber gloves, rub off the beetroot skin.
- Cut the top of the head of garlic, and squeeze the flesh into a food processor bowl.
- Add the beetroot, spices, lemon juice and oil.
- Process until almost smooth.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with pitta chips.