Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a nice dish to serve for a buffet because it's simple and the rosemary mayonnaise can be prepared 2 days ahead of time. I serve this with the little cocktail breads on the side so that guests can build their own sandwich and have always been asked for the mayonnaise recipe. I also use the leftover mayonnaise on salmon and sandwiches.
- 4 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- romaine lettuce leaf
- 2 lbs roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Place chopped rosemary and vinegar in medium bowl.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk in mayonnaise and garlic.
- Season rosemary mayonnaise to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead; cover and keep refrigerated.).
- Line large platter with romaine leaves.
- Arrange roast beef atop lettuce.
- Sprinkle with onion slices, if desired.
- Serve roast beef and rosemary mayonnaise separately.
- Makes 12 buffet servings or 8 main-course servings.
I was looking for a flavored mayonnaise and came across this. It was just fabulous. We had it on grilled turkey, bacon and cheese sandwiches. It was so good. The only thing I did differently was add some cracked black pepper.
Fabulous! I made these just as lettuce wraps. Left out the garlic and onion as I made these for lunch and was heading back to work. Great mayonnaise combination. I will definately be making these again! Thanks.
We've been making this mayo for any beef sandwiches since we first read the recipe in Bon Appetit's "Entertaining Made Easy" in the summer of 2001. It's absolutely amazing what this simple mayo will do for the simplest sandwich! Fresh rosemary is best, but dried works in a pinch.