1/2 Photos of Roast Beef With Marsala Gravy
1 hr 19 mins
1 hr 4 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This recipe is one of Melissa d'Arabian's holiday recipes. I made it for my Christmas dinner and it was excellent. I do think that I will use another kind of roast next time, as the bottom of the round roast was rather tough. (A rump roast might be nice.) I added 1 lb. button mushrooms to the sauce, and doubled the wine. I also made my gravy with flour and water and thickened it with much more flour than what it called for (more like 1/2 cup. flour and 1/2-3/4 cup water... I just eyeballed it and didn't measure). It was very much enjoyed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef roast, such as bottom round or 1 (3 lb) rump roast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into thick slivers
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup marsala cooking wine, dry
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Place the roast in a shallow baking dish and rub with the salt and pepper.
- 2Place in the refrigerator uncovered 8 hours or overnight.
- 3Before cooking, let the roast sit at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- 4Using a thin sharp knife, poke slits all over the top and sides of the roast and stuff each slit with a garlic sliver.
- 5Preheat the oven to 400.
- 6In a medium roasting pan fitted with a rack, place the beef on the rack and pour 1 cup water, 1/4 cup broth, and 1/2 cup wine into the bottom of the pan.
- 7Roast the beef for 15 minutes and turn down the heat to 325.
- 8Cook for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the internal temperature of the beef is 120 degrees F, adding the remaining 1/4 cup water to the pan, if necessary.
- 9Remove the roast from the oven, transfer the roast to a warmed platter and tent with foil to rest.
- 10Meanwhile, place the roasting pan over high heat and deglaze with the remaining wine.
- 11Add a large sprig of fresh rosemary to the sauce. Reduce by 1/3.
- 12Stir the flour into the remaining 3/4 cup broth, and then whisk into the sauce. Simmer until thickened.
- 13Remove the rosemary sprig, stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 14Serve the sauce with the sliced roast beef.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Beef With Marsala Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.3
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 211.9 mg
- Sodium 3011.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 73.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: