Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hearty Cold Weather Sunday Supper Fare!
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) boneless beef roast, rib eye roast
- 1⁄3 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs tiny new potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1. Place meat, fat side up, in a 15-1/2x10-1/2x2-inch roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into center of meat. In a large bowl combine horseradish, olive oil, pepper, the 1 teaspoon thyme, and the salt. Spoon half of the mixture over beef. Set remaining horseradish mixture aside. Roast beef in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, peel a strip from the center of each potato; cut larger potatoes in half. Toss potatoes and carrots with reserved horseradish mixture. Arrange vegetables in pan around roast. Roast 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours more or until the thermometer registers 145 degree F for medium-rare, stirring vegetables once. Remove from pan. Cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving meat. (The meat's temperature will rise 5 degrees during standing.)
- 3. For sauce, add wine to roasting pan and stir up the brown bits. In a medium saucepan stir the 1-1/4 cups broth into the flour and 1/4 teaspoon thyme until smooth. Stir in wine from roasting pan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute more. Serve sauce with meat and vegetables. If desired, garnish wtih fresh thyme sprigs. Makes 8 to 10 servings.