Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious savory roast. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes.
- 1133.98-1360.77 g boneless chuck roast
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml onions, sliced
- 473.18 ml celery, sliced
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced
- 473.19 ml cherry tomatoes
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 283.49 g can beef consomme
- 709.77 ml beef broth, divided
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour, plus 2 T
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rub roast with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place roast, onion, celery, carrot and tomatoes in a roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire, consomme, and 1 cup broth, whisking well.
- Pour over roast.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Cover roasting pan, and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Carefully remove roast and vegetables from pan.
- Skim excess fat from pan and reserve drippings.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups drippings to a simmer over medium heat in roasting pan.
- Add flour, whisking well.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add 1 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3-4 more minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add 1/2 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until gravy is thickened.
I loved this roast! So delicious....I've never used tomatoes in a roast and they really added something extra. Served with mashed potatoes as suggested. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
This was delicious. The gravy was excellent with the potatoes and the beef. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Lainey6605. Made for ZWT8 - Britain.
Lainey, you've got another winner. I just followed the recipe and it came out wonderful. I had 4 at the table tonight and everyone voted 5 stars. It was tender and the gravy delicious!