A delicious savory roast. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Roast Beef With Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 3 cups beef broth, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 T
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rub roast with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place roast, onion, celery, carrot and tomatoes in a roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire, consomme, and 1 cup broth, whisking well.
- Pour over roast.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Cover roasting pan, and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Carefully remove roast and vegetables from pan.
- Skim excess fat from pan and reserve drippings.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups drippings to a simmer over medium heat in roasting pan.
- Add flour, whisking well.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add 1 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3-4 more minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add 1/2 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, whisking well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until gravy is thickened.