Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Everyday Food. I've yet to try it, but I think it would make a lovely holiday meal.
- 5 3⁄4 lbs boneless rib-eye roast, tied if desired
- 2 lbs shallots, peeled, and halved if large
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Season beef with salt and pepper. Place in a large roasting pan; roast until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325. Place shallots around beef, roast until an instant read thermometer inserted in thickest part of roast registers 130 for medium-rare, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, turning shallots with tongs after 30 minutes.
- Transfer beef to platter; tent loosely with foil. Transfer shallots to a shallow bowl (continue cooking if not golden brown). Toss with sugar and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour fat off pan. Add wine, cook over medium heat til syrupy, scraping pan, 2-4 minutes. Add 2 cups water; cook til reduced by half, 4-8 minutes. Strain into a small bowl; whisk in mustard and any accumulated juices from beef. Season with salt and pepper, serve with beef and shallots.