Recipe by Elin
This is my mother's recipe, which I make over and over when I have guests for dinner. It's easy too, which allows you time to concentrate on other things!
- 2 kg joint of beef
- 1 pint blackcurrant squash
- 1 pint red wine
- 2 pints water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a hot pan with a bit of oil, seal the beef joint.
- Bring to the boil the wine, squash and water and add garlic, onions, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add roasting joint and boil for 1.5 hours.
- Remove beef and set aside to rest.
- Sieve the sauce, so you are left with the liquid only.
- Place the liquid in a pot and bring to the boil, adding a little cornflour and when heat reduced, add some cream.
- Season to taste and serve.
- Great accompaniment to roast potatoes and mixed roast vegetables.