Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living.
Top Review by GibbyLou
This was a tasty sandwich. I used Recipe #169055 for the creamy horseradish sauce and spread some on each slice of bread. I also added tomatoes. Instead of butter, I brushed the outside of the bread with mayonnaise. Next time I would also salt and pepper the filling before cooking. I do not have a panini press so I used my cast iron griddle. Thanks for posting.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup prepared creamy horseradish sauce, divided
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 lb deli roast beef, slices
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (or Swiss cheese, or provolone cheese)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir/saute the first 3 ingredients in a lightly greased skillet over med-high heat for 8 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Spread 1 T. horseradish sauce on each of 4 bread slices; top evenly with roast beef, cooked onion, and cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Brush melted butter on both sides of sandwich.
- Cook in a preheated panini press 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with remaining horseradish sauce.