Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A delicious dry roast adapted from Escoffier.
Make and share this Roast Beef recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs beef roast (we use the knuckle, but any cut with some fat and connective tissue will work)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons savory
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for basting (or melted lard)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rub the roast with the dry ingredients.
- Tie the roast with baking twine so that it has a roughly uniform cross section (failure to do so will result in thinner parts becoming overcooked before the thicker parts are done).
- Baste the roast with the oil (lard) and place in the oven in a roasting pan, elevated above the bottom of the pan on a roasting rack. It is important that no part of the roast be in contact with the pan drippings during cooking.
- Cook time is 15-30 minutes per pound (depends on your oven, the shape of the roast, etc).
- Cook until interior temperature is around 140-150 (depends on how rare you want your meat).
- While roast is cooking, remove from oven every 15 minutes to rotate the roast and re-baste. This is also a good time to check temperature.
- We serve this with truffle sauce (use recipe 469366, but replace half the butter with truffle oil).
- When done, remove from oven, loosely tent with foil, and let rest at least 20 minutes (30 is better).