1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Da Huz's Note:
A delicious dry roast adapted from Escoffier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef roast (we use the knuckle, but any cut with some fat and connective tissue will work)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons savory
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for basting (or melted lard)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Rub the roast with the dry ingredients.
- 3Tie the roast with baking twine so that it has a roughly uniform cross section (failure to do so will result in thinner parts becoming overcooked before the thicker parts are done).
- 4Baste the roast with the oil (lard) and place in the oven in a roasting pan, elevated above the bottom of the pan on a roasting rack. It is important that no part of the roast be in contact with the pan drippings during cooking.
- 5Cook time is 15-30 minutes per pound (depends on your oven, the shape of the roast, etc).
- 6Cook until interior temperature is around 140-150 (depends on how rare you want your meat).
- 7While roast is cooking, remove from oven every 15 minutes to rotate the roast and re-baste. This is also a good time to check temperature.
- 8We serve this with truffle sauce (use recipe 469366, but replace half the butter with truffle oil).
- 9When done, remove from oven, loosely tent with foil, and let rest at least 20 minutes (30 is better).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Beef
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.2
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 119.7 mg
- Sodium 1530.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 39.9 g