Recipe by winkki
From the local newspaper; a twist on the usual tomato salad. Simple to make but with a beautiful presentation for summer brunch or parties. Fresh basil and tomatoes make this a real treat! Prep time does not include overnight chilling of ricotta mixture.
Top Review by Bobtail
This salad confirms that simple food is the best! I did reduce the salad to only serve two people. I used a curly leaf lettuce and choose elephant garlic for the ricotta mixture. Fresh basil was unavailable, therefore I used dried. Next time, I will definitely increase the garlic and use regular garlic. I felt the elephant garlic was too mild. Lovely, simple and delicious salad! It would be great as a side salad for a meal or as a light simple lunch! Very versatile! Thanks Winkki!
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, blanched and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, minced
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 " thick
- lettuce leaf (to garnish)
- basil leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- (To blanch garlic, simmer unpeeled cloves in small pot of water. Cook 10-15 min, peel and use or store in jar of oil in refrigerator.) Puree ricotta, garlic, and spices.
- Mix in minced basil leaves.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Line platter with lettuce leaves.
- Overlap tomato slices around platter, leaving space in the middle.
- Spoon ricotta mixture into center of platter.
- Garnish with whole basil leaves.